Monday, June 7, 2010

THE BLUE MONSTER

One major observable contrast between my perception of Beijing and my perception of the States is 'VISIBLE CONGREGATION' versus 'APPARENT ISOLATION'. The difference might not be as extreme as the impact of these two opposing word combinations, but the difference is extreme. I will briefly attempt to elaborate on my possibly pretentious labels.

In the States, outside of the University zone, if people are gathering for genuine face-to-face communication and socializing, you would need binoculars and X-ray goggles to notice. It may or may not be happening. In Beijing, the people brashly congregate on the streets like Bees congregate on bunches of nectar plump flowers. The people will sit and stand on the sides of every open space in union for hours and hours and hours and hours ... playing cards ... drinking Tsingtao ... eating snails ... debating ... observing ... pulling on poles ... ((Every morning I walk by an old woman hopelessly tugging on what looks like a concrete pole at least 30 inches in diameter and ten feet high.))



Everywhere you go in Beijing, you collide with groups collected to entertain one another through shared, exposed, 'classical' interaction. As seen in the photograph above of me surrounded at the TEMPLE OF THE EARTH a week or two ago, if you are interested and can communicate somewhat coherently, any and all of these groups appear open to welcome you into their warmth without blinking. Even acting as a temporary member of this culture, day and night, I find myself thrown into more face-to-face interactions with people in public spaces. I'm not burrowed into this or that comfortable hibernation hole. This is good and bad for the extrovert and introvert in conflict for my soul.


At the park a week or two ago, in the exercise quadrant, I was surrounded by intrigued Chinese men. A retired engineer knew basic English. He practiced his English on me with question after question, always grinning and grinning. Aileen also acted as translator for some others eager to spill wisdom into my dry palette.

The man pictured above tells me to avoid drinking GINSING tea. I tell him it is a favorite. He tells me it's powers are targeted at people his age. The retired engineer asks me if I like Opera in soft English. The man above interrupts my answer to begin telling me the history of the park. Aileen translates. A retired circus performer, pictured below, begins smiling at me, pointing at his eyes and then pointing at my eyes. Aileen translates. The retired engineer asks me if I like baseball in soft English. Grinning. The man pictured above tells me I need to talk to older people; they have much to teach. A modest plug for his generation. Aileen translates. I promise to stay connected to the generations above me on a regular basis. I tell him I try my best.

The retired circus performer begins performing. I applaud him over and over, encouraging all around to applaud with me. A close few humor me and join in smacking hands together.


They called me THE BLUE MONSTER. I'll take the name. Something to do with my eyes. The color. The intensity.

1 comment:

  1. Fireball and Blue Monster! An unrivaled beer pong duo.

    ReplyDelete