Sunday, May 30, 2010

BIOLOGICAL BREAKDOWN

Warning: the following post is of a sensitive and melodramatic nature, but serves as a live portrait of a minor crisis. Something went wrong Thursday. A biological error. A strike from the inside. Our will is ultimately controlled by the status of our physical body. Our body can be unpredictable. Our body can muddle our will.

My throat is in real pain. My tongue is tight. Movement is restricted. Swallowing hurts. When I swallow, I force food and liquid over an invisible mountain in the back of my throat. I want to grab a spoon and start digging. Extract the poison. My jaw feels dull and exhausted. I am forced to chew in slow motion. Chewing makes me squint with discomfort. My mouth fills with saliva that no longer drains naturally. My forehead may or may not be hot. I rarely get sick, so I don't know what it feels like to be sick.


My throat and tongue were sensitive one week ago. I cut water out of my diet. Four days dripped by with no throat problems. Now, for the last several days, my throat and tongue burn with an escalated fury. On the cusp of a promising weekend, my mouth is breaking down. No legible medicine in sight.


Insert spinning paranoia. I'm allergic to cats. My brother has two kittens. That could be a problem. They're cute. We play. I never take medicine, but here I'm on Benadryl daily. I ate at a noodle place twice early last week and then went back yesterday afternoon. That could be the problem. I'm never going back. What are they feeding me? The meat looked strange floating in my noodle bowel.

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief. "There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."

5 comments:

  1. Ahh...get better mister

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw...my nurse mama said it could possibly be a reaction to the cats, so keep up the benadryl and gargle salt water three times daily.

    JM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps they are feeding you more of what you are allergic too? Then again, that's a terrible stereotype. I've also been experiencing some issues, but more of the abdominal type; it is almost certainly the food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salt water (0.5 - 1 teaspon per 8 ounce glass of water) 2 - 4 times per day - - just rinse thoroughly - no swallowing. Also brush and floss teeth at least twice per day - in case an infection like trench mouth (no sores or bleeding right?). Drink plenty of fluids - force yourself. You do not drink soda, but maybe force yourself. Soda is acidic. Saw something called kombucha - fermented tea - popular in China to boost immunity - ask Aileen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the words all! I went to a 24 hour pharmacy at 3AM on Friday. Rang a bell. I've been pumping my system full of yellow pills and Chinese magic spray. It is slowly healing the damage.

    I will also go on a search for KOMBUCHA. I'll try anything.

    ReplyDelete