Friday, May 21, 2010

LIVING IN HUTONG


The picture above is a look outside my apartment door. Please take note of the abandoned homemade Western style toilet. For this entry, I will attempt to paint a modest portrait of where I am currently living. It is called a ‘HUTONG'.


The picture above is a walkway inside a walkway inside a walkway inside an alley. Please take note of my brother’s lady friend’s bicycle propped against the wall. This particular walkway inside a walkway inside a walkway inside an alley leads to my brother’s apartment, where I sleep, shower, and sweat. As I have been told by a savvy local, the Hutong was once a beautiful set of minimal apartments surrounding and facing a scenic, spacious courtyard. When communism dropped, mass amounts of people flooded these open courtyards and began, essentially, building apartments inside of these apartments. The maze-like slums were born and authentic courtyards have become rare and expensive. A commodity. A luxury.


The picture above is an aerial shot looking down into my brother’s ‘neighborhood’. Everything crams together in conflict for territory. No splash of grass. No hint of a backyard with sprawling deck and porch. No space to soak inside and breathe. I grew up happily spoiled with a heroic backyard plump with greens surrounded by unspoiled nature. I miss romping with the serene, naked earth.

The interior of my brother’s apartment harshly contrasts the beaten, clustered exterior. If I remember, in a future post, I will give you a look inside.

In random news, last night, a Chinese man approached our group of obvious foreigners and began reading our palms. When he snatched my hands, he spoke rapidly in Chinese with glowing, saucer sized eyes. I have no idea what he said. He told my brother that he would sleep with three important women.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are adapting bicycle man. Beyond the Forbidden City, where else have you traveled? Lama Buddist Temple is in walking distance. What about 'bug alley,' pretty close to the Western book store. Too the French cheese store with all you need to make a big bowl of cheesy pasta !! Cheese store is around corner from Confucius Temple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travis picked us up several eccentric cheeses from that store over the weekend. Quite tasty! I will try and do some more posts of the places I have been visiting. Very behind. I navigated my way to the Bird's Nest Monday. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete