Tuesday, May 18, 2010

SUCCULENT


The area I am staying, DONG SI SHI SI TAO, overflows with fresh produce. Vibrant. Bright. Eclectic. Before I left, several suggested I take advantage, and I promise you, I am beginning to take advantage. Slowly. A few days have past, and my confidence in "point and nod" communication has grown. Slightly. Also, over the weekend, an English speaking native demonstrated 'playing the markets' for me. These two factors have allowed me to timidly explore more corners and cultural specific luxuries without the harness of my brother or his friends.

There are several markets of all shapes and sizes in walking distance, spilling fruit and more out of their doors. I bought several bananas, a bag of peaches, a bag of strawberries, dragon fruit, and a few yogurts, all for less than 60 RMB (Yuan). Those mix together like intimate friends birthing a blend of cheap and tasty.

DRAGON FRUIT is one of those blessed entities with such an electric name and look that you gravitate towards it immediately without mercy... much like Ziggy Stardust.

DRAGON FRUIT is somewhat anticlimactic, but I'll probably keep buying it.


ON THE NEXT INSTALLMENT: RALPH ELLISON'S INVISIBLE MAN BIKES UP AND DOWN DONGZHI MEN BEI XIAO JIE WITH A CITY MAP AND A DREAM

No comments:

Post a Comment