Sunday, May 16, 2010

QUACK QUACK SNACK


Eating the exotic in a familiar fashion eliminates discomfort from an anxious exploration into the previously unknown. The dive into new is made somewhat more manageable, grounded to previous experiences.

My brother and I, with several of his South American friends, went to a duck roast. The duck is purportedly difficult to cook to delicious, but our duck, as far as my pallete could judge, was cooked to delicious. The outter layer melted in my mouth. All the accompanying available ingredients spread before me in tiny little dishes were ambiguous, but the way I was instructed to stuff them into a soft dumpling shell and fold for one bite consumption screamed miniature fajita. I was making some type of tiny "Chinese-Mexican-Fajita-Hybrid".

After cramming down many of these little delights, my eyes fell on the duck head. The Shanghai native sitting next to me encouraged me to split the head with her. The brain was absolute mush, but I have heard, in another life, that eating brain will give you superpowers. Maybe the duck brain will give me the ability to breathe under water for extended periods of time. Cross your fingers. Time will tell.

No pictures of THE GREAT DUCK FEAST. I forgot the camera. Never again.

2 comments:

  1. Is that Peking duck that you had?!! *green with envy* The best part is definitely the skin, and then the flesh, followed by, I don't know, maybe the heart. More so than the liver. Duck is awesome! I'm so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you can buy crackers, juice and tea, you may need to up your game to yohurt and fruit. The options of these latter two are countless and may help expand your diet when snacking while your brother works.

    ReplyDelete